Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hiking a Mountain

Well David, my little bro Jon, and I all hiked mt. Nebo this past Saturday. We started around 12:45pm and most of the trail up wasn't to bad. The final assent was very steap and as we were climbing that rocky peak to the top I almost quit not because I was to tired but because I knew that I would have to come back down. I hate Heights and you could even say I have a rather unhealthy fear of them. Going up that last bit was for me with my hands and feet crawling up(like climbing a ladder). Quite scary and the margin for error was very slim. I think that I worried David a bit, it is sometimes nice to have your big strong man to worry over you their small weak woman. I know that sound dumb but I rather liked that David was concerned for me. Anyhow we reached the top and put our names in the book up there. We read a few of the things others wrote, one that was fitting for me said "Oh sun where for art thine heat". It was cold up there and so the picture the guys took of me I was huddled under Davids coat. I was stoked that I make it to the top, way exhausted and a little worried about climbing down and making it before the sun set, but happy. Well I would like to tell you that the desent was wonderful and quick and we made it to the car before darkness came, but we didn't and it was 8:30pm and quite dark by the time we reached the suburban. My right foot had 2 blisters on the heal, 2 on my big toe, and 1 on my middle toe. my calves hurt a bit but my thighs are so stinking sore that stairs are a nightmare and stretching them only marginally helps. Because the desent down that steep rocky peak was so terrifying for me I was so tense and my shoulders are still sore from that. I know I am a mess. I remember at one point as we were climbing off the peak I just sat there ready to start crying, because I was terrified and exhausted. That was one of the most difficult things mentally and physically that I have done for a while. It was worth it and I can now say that I have summited Mt. Nebo.

1 comment:

Alice Vorwaller said...

I think you are crazy!! I would have never tried because I am afraid of heights and have no desire to climb a mountain in fear of falling!!! Congrats on accomplishing it though!